Then and Now
Newman Memorial Hospital
Newman Memorial Hospital was founded in in 1920 by pioneer physician O.C. Newman, M.D. Dr. Newman, his wife and three sons (all of whom later became physicians) moved to Shattuck in October of 1907. That year, Dr. Newman, M.D., along with other Shattuck businessmen established the Northwestern Sanatorium which closed after one year due to lack of community support. He continued treating the community of Shattuck by traveling from home to home on horseback or with his span of driving horses and buggy. As the years passed, he continued to take post-graduate work in some of the leading medical and surgical colleges of the country. Advances in medicine, specifically surgery, helped to convince the community that they were ready for the next step.
Newman Memorial Hospital is affiliated with the Saints 1st Alliance, a program with St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City that serves 15 hospitals. The program, developed jointly with St. Anthony and the rural hospitals primarily located in northwest Oklahoma, allows Newman and its physicians to have direct access to specialties and services for local patients who require advanced services not available at the local level. Services at St. Anthony are provided with an assurance that contact with physicians will be timely and transfers generally arranged within 30 minutes. The affiliation also provides the Hospital with access to purchasing agreements which are used to lower the operating cost of the hospital and to other services such as electronic medical records to comply with new federal guidelines.
In 1920 Dr. Newman established the original Shattuck hospital and his legacy continues today at Newman Memorial Hospital. For almost a century, the administration, physicians, nurses and staff of the hospital have dedicated themselves to serving the communities of Northwest Oklahoma, Southern Kansas and the Texas Panhandle with compassionate, high-quality, affordable health care. Our mission is to provide the highest quality patient care experience with focused attention to patient safety, value and an uncompromised commitment to clinical excellence for those we serve.
Today, Newman Memorial Hospital is a 25 bed Critical Access Hospital with 24 hour emergency services, inpatient/acute beds, a Swing Bed program, Specialty Clinic Program and out-patient services including an Urgent Care Clinic that is open 7 days a week for walk-in services provided by a physician. NMH is licensed by the Oklahoma State Department of Health, certified as a provider for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and is CLIA certified for laboratory services. Our reference lab is state-of-the art and performs testing for hospital patients, outpatients and outreach clients located throughout Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. The hospital is a member of the American Hospital Association and the Oklahoma Hospital Association. We have successfully combined top quality physicians, caring and considerate staff, modern facilities and 21st Century technology while maintaining a small town atmosphere.
For your healthcare needs, consider Newman Memorial Hospital for top quality physicians, caring nurses, considerate staff, modern facilities, and 21st century technology, all in a small town atmosphere.
To view a copy of our 990 Tax form, please go to guidestar.org. You will need to complete a simple, free registration process.